Saturday, October 22, 2011

The new and improved!

So if you didn't see my earlier post about my kitchen check it out here. I have happy news that it's finally done and...I LOVE IT! With an added bonus, it stays much cleaner since I enjoy spending time in there:) So I wanted to show you what it looks like and how I did it!



You seriously need to check out the before pictures cause it's a big change!! We were lucky enough to get granite counter tops from my in laws for Christmas last year (Thank you Legacy Granite!). And with the painted cupboards it's beautiful! Now just to paint the wall and it will be complete! So how did I do it might you ask? First I took just one door off and experimented (which I believe is key to loving what you do and not wasting your time on the whole kitchen), let me tell ya I didn't like the first few attempts and it saved me in the long run. Once I figured out what I wanted to do I took off the top doors (I have a two year old that would love to get into everything if I took the bottom off at the same time, so I broke it up and did the top then the bottom.) and sanded them down. Now I do realize I'm blessed with flat doors where as most homes now a days have trim on them...sorry it might be a pain to sand them down but I talked with a painting professional and he HIGHLY recommends sanding first. Then I put a thin coat of white paint (left overs from the previous home owners) let dry and sanded the edges and a little of the top to give it an older look. After, I stained it with a dark oak, I thought for sure it was going to be darker than I wanted until my dad said just try it...loved it!! That was with all the door and drawers. Now with the cupboards themselves I cheated and that's ok with me. I didn't sand...at all! I really didn't want a huge mess of dust all over my kitchen so I just painted a very very thin coat and stained...worked great!! That easy...it did take me all week with two little ones and having to stop and feed every 3 hours but it was so worth it to me!

So I love before and after photos and if you have some send them my way! I'd love to spotlight my favorite!! So send them over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...